5.05.2018

dimland radio 5-5-18 show notes


A Little Tribute To My Departed In-Laws
 
Together again.
On May 4th, we gathered at Fort Snelling National Cemetery for a final send off for my wife's parents. Mom died in September 2013, Dad in October 2017. Their remains will be interred at Fort Snelling. They were sent off with full military honors as Dad was a Vietnam veteran.
 
A few friends and family were their for one final goodbye.

Who's Afraid Of Michelle Wolf?

It appears the President is. He didn't attend the White House Correspondents Association dinner at which comedian Michelle Wolf was a featured speaker. She let pretty much everyone have it. It was uncomfortable at times, but she wasn't lying. And she got me to laugh a few times.
 
There were more than a few people upset by her speaking truth to power, but there's the old saying: Don't dish it out, if you can take it. We have a President who loves to dish, but, judging by his absence and his (and others) reaction, he can't take it.
 
This image should put things in perspective:
 
Yes. Yes, she did.
A Dimland Radio Pedantic Moment: Hawaii Five-O Has An Outstanding Police Sketch Artist

Talking about Ms Wolf's roasting performance got me talking about other featured speakers. One also ruffled feathers, the other was a very, very safe choice. First was Stephen Colbert and he made President George W Bush pretty uncomfortable. And give credit to W. He was there.
 
The other was Rich Little. He was featured the following year after Colbert. He couldn't make anyone uncomfortable. Unless, that is, you watched him attempt to act.
 
Little was a guest star of an episode of the original Hawaii Five-O. He played a revenge killer, who was killing drug dealers he held responsible for the death of a young woman he loved. He also happened to do impressions, you know, because Rich Little does impressions. Makes sense.
 
The Pedantic Moment comes from a sketch of the suspect. One of the murdered drug dealers was killed in a motel and the manager of the motel was asked what the man who rented the room looked like. She didn't know.
 
She was vague when talking to McGarrett (Jack Lord). She was sent to work with a police sketch artist to see what they could come up with.
 
Her assessment of the sketch was, "Not a spitting image, but it's OK."
 
This is a screen capture of that sketch:
 
The killer is... Rich Little?!
Lady! That is the definition of "spitting image!"
 
Playing The Gadfly Again

I pointed out that Trump did not called Mexicans rapists. He was talking about illegal immigration and the kinds of people who are coming from Mexico. He said:
 
"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."
 
Sure, it's not a great thing to be saying and it might not even be true, but he didn't say, "Mexicans are rapists."
 
I also asked if this whole Korean peninsula peace and denuclearization thing happens, should Trump get any credit? Should he get the Nobel Peace Prize?
 
Of course, there are plenty of people who think he shouldn't, but I now of one guy who says he should: Moon Jae-In, the President of South Korea. Is he right? I dunno.
 
Three Cool Things
3) I recently learned how to do screen captures on a Mac. Not thrilling, but I think it's cool.

2) I finally got to wear my suit. It was for the military ceremony for my in-laws.
 
 
1) A solemn occasion, yes, but the ceremony at Fort Snelling was pretty cool.
 
Song Comparison
This might not be fair, but what the hell? When I was in my 20s I thought Violent Femmes' song Please Do Not Go was a good, angst-filled song about unrequited love. But now that I'm in my 50s, I don't think it holds up.

But the song About Today by The National is a song written by adults about a longtime relationship coming to an end. It just kills me.
 
Art is subjective. Check the links. What do you think?
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Everyone A Puzzle Lover' by 10,000 Maniacs & 'Golden Brown' by The Stranglers
Second ad break bumpers: 'Once In A Lifetime' by Talking Heads & 'Nocturnal Me' by Echo & The Bunnymen
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

1 comment: