2.17.2018

dimland radio 2-17-18 show notes


I Got Fooled Again

I was determined to not get fooled again, but I'm human. The Superbowl halftime show used a bit of computer trickeration in making downtown Minneapolis turn purple. I naively thought it actually happened. Well, it didn't. 

A Bit Of A Dumb Thing To Do
 
Is this a hoax? I think it probably is.
I posted the above image with a joke about the men of the time the image was taken were probably all that upset these women might be unavailable. It was joke based on the perceived unattractiveness of the women in the photo. Their value and the value of their cause must not be so great because they aren't pretty.
 
My wife got after me because of my joke, as did a few other people I know on Facebook. I wasn't stubborn. I didn't try to justify the joke. I realized it was in poor taste and I edited the post the reflect my understanding of my insensitivity.
 
A discussion in the comment thread was launched. There were differing opinions, but, for the most part, the discussion was civil.
 
It was also pointed out that the image might be a spoof, meant to belittle the women of the temperance movement and illicit the kind reaction that led me to make that joke.

PETA, Honey, And Red Paint On Fur Coat

While I talked about the stern women image being a spoof, I mentioned PETA and their "Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur" campaign. PETA uses honey rather than vinegar to attract flies. They don't use women attempting to look stern and severe. They use attractive models and actors.
 
I reminisced about the 90s when animal rights people would throw red paint on rich people's fur coats. It was a counter-production action. It was vinegar, not honey. So, people wouldn't likely be drawn to their cause. And rich folks would just buy a new fur coat.
 
Movie Recommendation & A Pedantic Moment: Logan's Run (1976) And Gratuitous Nudity
 
 
It was the big sci-fi film for about a year until Star Wars was released. The story is intriguing as it focuses on a future that is ruled by pure pleasure. No worries of want or needs. No work. All pleasure. The catch? You aren't allowed to live past 30.
 
Some people don't accept that end and become runners who seek Sanctuary. Then the Sandmen get involved. Sandmen are the cops (and pretty much the only job there is) who hunt down the runners.
 
Michael York plays a Sandman who is tasked to find Sanctuary. Jenny Agutter plays a woman who is involved in the secret organization who helps runners escape.
 
The special effects were given an Academy Award then, but they don't hold up as well as Star Wars.
 
The Pedantic Moment? Well, it has to do with the gratuitous nudity. York and Agutter get wet and then very cold. There are animal skins available, but first get those wet clothes off!

Top Three Cool Things Of The Week

Here's Three Cool Things from this week.

3) The Walt Simonson who sent that letter to Marvel Comics is the Walt Simonson who later work for Marvel as an artist.
 
The two images are the same image.
2) A way cool optical illusion (see above) made its way around the internets. Go here for an explanation.

1) It seems a few people disagree with me, but I think Pres. Obama's portrait revealed this week is pretty cool.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Bonneville' by The dBs & 'Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)' by The The
Second ad break bumpers: 'Lead A Normal Life' by Peter Gabriel & 'Lord, I Hope This Day Is Good' by Don Williams
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment