11.12.2017

dimland radio 11-11-17 show notes

I Was Wrong About Something

During my talk about the World Series last week I made a couple mistakes. Hard to believe, I know.

I was wrong about how home field advantage is determined in the World Series. I was correct last year, but Major League Baseball changed to the team with the best regular season record gets it. It is no longer determined by the winner of the All-Star Game.
 
And I was wrong about which team won the 2017 All-Star Game. 

I Now Know People Who Actually Eat Bone Marrow

The Minnesota Skeptics' monthly meet-up was just held. It was its usual good time. However, some of the devoured one of the most unappetizing appetizer I've ever seen. Bone marrow. I'd heard that there are people who eat it. Now I know a few personally.

I'm not one of them.

Pedantic Moment: The Back Of A Cylinder

A young MN Skeptic mentioned some writing on the back of an over-sized can of water. I remarked on the interesting idea of there being a back of a cylinder.

Yes, I know what he meant.

He's Bad Enough, You Don't Have To Lie About Him

So those still pictures of Pres. Trump feeding koi in Japan? You know, the ones that are making Trump out to be an idiot, because he dumped "too much" at once? Well, guess what the video shows...

Click here.

The UK Has A Problem With Big Cats Roaming The Countryside

The problem is they don't have any big cats roaming the countryside, but they have plenty of people who think they've seen and photographed pumas/cougars/mountain lions/panthers in the British wild. A woman believes she's photographed a puma eating a domestic cat in her neighbor's back garden. It looks more like a tabby cat eating a grey bird.
 
In this segment, I go on a rant about people letting their cats roam outside. It's a familiar rant to regular listeners, but I did add a new reason for my dislike of my neighbors letting their cats out.

Top Three Cool Things Of The Week

Here are the Top Three Cool Things from this week.

3) Admittedly, I was a bit coy on this one. There may be something pretty cool happening in a few months for Dimland Radio. I didn't want to give details. I'll do that when the something is a certainty.

2) This past Thursday was the second Thursday of the month, so that means I attended the MN Skeptics Meet-Up. Always a real cool time.

1) My wife, son, and I saw Penn & Teller perform this past week and we got autographs and pictures. It was a great show.
 
 
Movie Recommendation: Downfall (2004)
 
 
Not a feel-good movie experience in anyway, Downfall is a fascinating telling of the last days of the Third Reich. Bruno Ganz gives a brilliant performance of the crumbling dictator as he faces (and doesn't face) the defeat of his empire. Much of the story is based of the information given by Traudl Junge, who was Hitler's secretary in those last days.
 
The film was criticized for making Hitler seem to human, but he was human. I think showing him as such takes away the mythic aspect of der fuhrer who came very close to realizing his ambition to rule the world.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Vanishing Girl' by The Dukes of Stratosphear & 'Only In America' by Naked Raygun
Second ad break bumpers: 'Lonely Is (As Lonely Does)' by The dB's & 'Voices Carry' by Til Tuesday
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment