8.27.2017

dimland radio 8-26-17 show notes

Solar Eclipse Talk And Mr. Pessimism: The Aftermath

This whole show was pretty much dedicated to the solar eclipse of last Monday. You may have heard of it.
 
Last week's show was loaded with my pessimism of seeing any of the eclipse, let alone the peak of 85%, which is what was expected in the Twin Cities. For the week leading up to the event, the weather outlook was consistently cloudy. I was certain I wouldn't see a thing. 

Monday came and I did get to see the moon cover about 75 - 80% 0f the sun before the clouds rolled in. It wasn't every bit of the event that we could have gotten, but it was better than nothing.

Some Friends And The Path Of Totality

I have a few friends who made the trek to the Path of Totality in order to observe a total solar eclipse. None of that 85% crap! They went for 100%.
 
I asked them to tell me of their experiences. Did the clouds stay away? How was the trip there? The trip home? And what were their over all impressions?
 
I got good responses from them. Especially from Maddy, the host of A Minnesota Trans-Atheist Podcast. Her story was so good I read the whole thing on the show. If I had summarized as I did the others it just wouldn't have done her story justice.
 
Now we can look forward to 2024.

Eclipse Science Isn't Doubted


I mentioned this last week, but I thought I'd read what someone else wrote (see above) on the fact that no one seemed to doubt that the eclipse would happen just as scientists had predicted. Whoever wrote it said it so much better than I did. 10 points to that person.

What Should Have Been The Official Song Of The Eclipse
 
Bonnie Tyler dragged that awful song Total Eclipse Of The Heart out for her performance on an eclipse cruise to sing during the event, reminding everyone what a lousy piece shit it is. (OK, you might like it. I loathe it and just about anything else written by Jim Steinman. Art is subjective. We'll just have to agree to disagree.)
 
I talked about what should have been the song of this celestial event. It's by the avant garde artist Klaus Nomi. It's called Total Eclipse.
 
It should have been (and in my mind was) the song for the eclipse for two reasons. One, it actually uses the line "total eclipse of the sun," not the heart. And, two, it's a much, much, MUCH better song.
 
 

Pedantic Moment (And Trump Apologetics): He Didn't Stare At The Sun

Don't let the headline mislead you. I'm not a Trump apologist. I want accuracy in reporting. Sure, it made for funny memes, but still photos of the Fifth-Grader in office are of him glancing up at the sun. He didn't stare. People are so determined to find any little thing to get on him. He does and says plenty of dumb and dangerous stuff as it is, you don't have to mislead the public by lying about him staring at the sun.
 
A glance is not staring.
 
Pause a glance and it looks like a stare.


I glanced at it, too. Unprotected. Glanced! I'm sure many, many other people did the same. But, no, Pres. Trump stared at it. Watch the video of him staring at the sun. It's right at the beginning, but careful. If you blink you'll miss him staring.
 

I was unfriended by someone on Facebook who accused me of being a Trump apologist and he said he didn't tolerate assholes. Really? He seems to tolerate himself.
 
Dimland Radio ARGH!
 
We watched Kong: Skull Island this past week. We noticed that Brie Larson's character was a photojournalist who didn't believe in taking photographs. I swear she never took a single picture of Kong.
 
Take a picture!
 
Top Three Cool Things Of The Week

Here are the Top Three Cool Things from this week.

3) My friends' stories of their Path of Totality experiences.

2) Being able to share my eclipse glasses with my boss, my wife, my son, my neighbor, her daughter, my dad, and his neighbor.

1) And the fact I got to see as much as I did. Maybe as much as 80%. I'll take it.

Movie Recommendation: None

I ran out of time, so you are on your own this week.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Escape From The Planet Earth' by The Alleycats & 'All That Jazz' by Echo & The Bunnymen
Second ad break bumpers: 'Skin Deep' by The Stranglers & 'Traveling Man' by The Woodentops
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment