7.30.2017

dimland radio 7-29-17 show notes

Another Perspective On Justine Damond's  Death

I discussed a blog post that pointed out that media coverage of Justine Damond seems to be different than the coverage of other victims of police violence, such as Philando Castile. Specifically, in Castille's case the news media wasted little time exposing his police record and that of his girlfriend. This has not been the case with Damond. The media hasn't felt compelled to show her and her fiance's warts.

The blogger makes a very good point. As does the writer of this piece.

Here's a very good collection of the details that were available as of July 23. And there has been some news about the patrol car having been claimed to have been slapped by a woman prior to Damond being shot. I haven't seen any news about whether or not the car is pressing charges.

A Different Take On 'Institutionalized'
 
California hardcore punk legends Suicidal Tendencies and their classic teen angst song Institutionalized came to mind earlier this week. I watched the video (see this week's bumper below) and read the lyrics and I noticed my attitude toward the song had changed since I first heard it in the mid-80s. Just a little.

Some Talk About Senator John McCain
 
Senator John McCain has brain cancer. He also gave an impassioned speech to his fellow members of the Senate to get back to public debate and compromise. He voted the send the Republican's idea of a healthcare bill on for debate. He voted no, along with two other Republican senators, Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski, on the "skinny" bill to repeal Obamacare.

Busy bit of time for the longtime public servant.

There were a few people who pointed out the Sen. McCain is benefiting from taxpayer funded healthcare, while he seems determined to take it away from millions of Americans. Well, Obamacare is still in affection and partly because Sen. McCain voted against repealing it. He might do so in the future, but we'll see.

And, of course, the internet being the internet, there were a few people hoping he would being dying soon and in pain due to that cancer. How compassionate.
 

Full Moon Review
 
I briefly went over my reaction to the Keith Moon biography detailing the craziness of the maniac drummer of The Who. I found it difficult to read due to the multiple authors' inability to use the proper verb tense. I also found it tedious and, in the end pathetic and sad.

You can read my full review here.

It's Not True: John McCain Was Pardoned By Nixon
 
With Sen. McCain being in the news, a meme has been floating around claiming he would have been court-martialed for treason had he not been pardoned by Pres. Nixon. It's not true.

Top Three Cool Things Of The Week

Here are the Top Three Cool Things that I spotted this week.
 
3) Recently, I begged for more Facebook likes for Dimland Radio. It went from 173 to 181. I looked at how the numbers break down by country. Number one was the US, no surprise there. Number two, at 22 likes, was... You'll have to listen. ;)
 
2) A couple friends and I sat on on the internets earlier this week. We joined Douglas Arthur in recording an episode of his podcast Assault of the Two-Headed Space Mules. We talked about filmmaker George Romero, who died just recently. The show isn't up yet. I will let you know when it is. Douglas says it might be a two-parter.
 
1) A friend gave me The Who Tommy Live on VHS. (Yes, I have a player.) I gave the concert from their 1989 a little review. For the must part , it's an excellent concert. Thanks, Craig! You can watch the Tommy portion of the video here.

Movie Recommendation: None

I ran out of time, so you are on your own this week.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Headmaster Ritual' by The Smiths & 'Institutionalized' by Suicidal Tendencies
Second ad break bumpers: 'Tom Sawyer' by Rush & 'Lie Detector' by The Screaming Blue Messiahs 
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment