6.25.2017

dimland radio 6-24-17 show notes

A Clarification

I started the show making sure my point from the last show about repealing the 2nd Amendment. I tried to make it clear that was not my position. I was advising those who wish to add more gun laws to cut to the chase and call for repealing (or greatly rewriting it to only cover rifles and shotguns used for hunting) of the right of the people to bear arms.

The Yanez/Castille Dashcam Video Released To Public

The dashcam video of the tragic traffic stop in Falcon Heights, MN in July of 2016 that left Philando Castille dead and Officer Yanez heading to trial for manslaughter was released. It isn't graphic in the sense of what can be seen, but it is very upsetting.
 
I still find it difficult to understand how the jury came to that verdict.
 
I also talked about a YouTube video that gives instructions on how to handle being a legal carrier of a firearm when pulled over by the police. The video was posted to YouTube several months before Castille was killed. Castille was a legal carrier and he was armed. I had to wonder how he might have benefited from seeing that video.
 
I will see what I can learn about the training that people looking to get a right to carry permit go through and talk about it next week.

Poor Reporting And Anti-Semitic Swindler  
 
A food vendor at the MN State Fair announced its menu and within three hours that vendor, Hideaway Speakeasy, changed the name of its sandwich called The Swindler. TCJewFolk.com complained that the name of the sandwich was anti-Semitic.
 
The first few articles I read never explained how the word swindler is anti-Semitic. I searched the Google and I couldn't find anything giving the missing explanation. The state of journalism these days is such that so often there are questions left unanswered, and seemingly unasked. Obvious questions. Such as: "Why is swindler anti-Semitic?"
 
Fortunately, I found an article that made the connection. It's not the word that's the problem on its own. It's the word used as the name of a sandwich that one would find in a Jewish deli.
 
Ah! I see.
 
Let's Get The Lawyers Involved
 
So, for more than 50 years lumber sizing has not been exactly 2" x 4" or 4" x 4". Those are "nominal" (name only) sizing. The actual size is a bit smaller. There's a long history of the battles to standardize lumber sizing going back to the turn of the 20th century. It took until 1963 for the standard to be set.
 
I suppose it's not exactly common knowledge, but it's been 50 plus years and now the lawyers are involved. Someone thought the agreed upon nominal sizing practice for more than half a century was deceptive. So, a class action suit is being filed against Menard's and The Home Depot.
 
A lawsuit? Really? Talk about swindlers.
 
Pedantic Moment: Regan Should Have Died
 
 
I spoiled a horror classic from 1973, but at more than 40 years I think it's not a big deal.
 
It's The Exorcist that I talked about. Specifically the scene in which young Regan (Linda Blair) possessed by a demon turns her head all the way around. 360 degrees!
 
Now, as a pedant, I can accept the demon was keeping her alive after breaking her neck, tearing the veins and arteries, the nerves, and the skin. However, after the demon leaves her body, she should have dropped dead.
 
AND! I didn't mention this on the show, but she does it twice in the movie. So, if the first time didn't do enough damage, that second time sure as hell should have!
 
Some Sour Grapes, I Guess
 
My last topic of the show showed just how frustrating being an artist can be. I know art is subjective, but how it feels to have a talent for producing art and work on it all your life to improve on that talent only to see someone who can't do it be a guest on the Johnny Carson show, as an artist? Twice?!
 
I'll tell you
 
It's fucking frustrating!!
 
Movie Recommendation: None

I ran out of time, so you are on your own this week.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Sweetest Taboo' by Sade & 'English Roundabout' by XTC
Second ad break bumpers: 'Reel Around The Fountain' by The Smiths & 'Ledge' by The Replacements
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment